Wednesday, August 11, 2010

D Day or should I call it U Day

Times are hard... Don't we all know that.


It started out as a typical Monday. Busy morning, rushing to get me, my husband and our two boys out the door on time. On a good morning, getting out the door by 7 am is ideal. Especially when it is my turn to drop off the boys. This morning, I was free of that responsibility so, I took my time, put together my breakfast and lunch, 32 oz bottle of water, and of course, that 12 oz can of Coca Cola. No matter how hard I try, I just can't steer clear of it.


Today's work Monday was to be relatively easy, it was my week to work Friday, so that meant I got to leave at 3:30 and it was L.A.'s turn to do payroll so that gave me the opportunity to sort out papers, follow up on some past due notices sent out and read over a contract or two. My boss came in around 8 asking about our receivables and we decided to go over them at two. No problem.


It was relatively quiet there on Monday, not much going on. I brought my lunch so I could easily update my sheet regarding receivables while chewing my cud. L.A. left for lunch and before I knew it, it was already 2 pm!


My boss and I went over the receivables feeling somewhat satisfied with the answers I had received from our customers regarding payment. That's when those 7 dreaded words came.... Some of you have heard them in the past, and some of you are fortunate not to have heard them. But no matter, when you hear, "I've got some bad news for you." you instinctively know what is coming. Or, at least I did. I am not oblivious to our current economic situation and the downfalls which come with it. The funds to keep me employed was just not there. And that was that. I know it was hard for them to let me go and I can appreciate the sincerity behind the tears I saw when I was told.


I had planned to carry on the rest of my day, as it was now 2:30 and my day was over at 3:30, with business as usual. Unfortunately, as I sat at my desk, trying to ready things for L.A., I just couldn't do it. I told my boss that I had decided to go ahead and take my leave and he graciously told me that is okay with him.


So, at this point, you might be saying one of two things to yourself. "Why even bother staying? Why not just go ahead and go?" The reason my first decision was to not tuck tail and run is because I feel a loyalty to my employer. You may or may not know what it is like to work with someone for the length of time I did or ever understand the friendship(s) that can grow while working beside someone. My employer(s) were and will always be wonderful people. This decision I know was hard and given the economical downfall, I am just thankful they held onto to me as long as they could.


So, I came home, cried my eyes out, pulled myself together and went to get my boys. Of course I immediately told my husband what had happened and we tried to carry on a normal evening as originally planned. (as normal as one could expect for a Monday with one small child and one "tween")


Amy and I talked about when one door closes, another one opens. I told her to pray that hopefully it is not a revolving door, as I am blond and I just might get stuck in it.


Many ideas popped into my head as soon as I laid down to go to sleep. I could do this, I could do that, so on and so on. I recall reading an article fairly recently about how most people will have had 3 careers by the time they are 35? Hmmm, well, I am now 32 and I consider myself to have had two careers at this point. The US Navy being one, and administration being the other. Perhaps school counts as one career? I hope so, because I'm really not interested in changing career paths at this point.


So - until I decide what direction I am going to go and before I start my job search again (which I decided will be on Monday) I'm just going to blog about what it's like to watch four walls. (because that's not me!)


Until later,

Laura Robinson

Robinson Household

Current position - Wife, Mother, General Honey doer'